Installing 2″ Square Glass Tile Back splash
November 1, 2012
Difficulty Level: 2
- Scrape clean and smooth the wall area, apply a thin skim coat of drywall compound over rough or torn dry wall. Let dry thoroughly.
- Plan your layout by outlining the perimeter on the wall with a pencil where the tile will start and stop.
- Mask off or protect the counter top and faucet with plastic and masking tape, leave approx. a 1/2″ margin on the counter top exposed to be caulked or grouted later.
- Apply white tile adhesive (specific for glass tile) to the wall with a 3/16″ v notched trowel, staying within your pencil border.
- Gently press tiles in place, maintain consistent spacing. Spacers can be used here or eyeball it and use several Popsicle sticks between the counter and the first row.
- Firmly press all tiles in place when you are happy with the spacing. Gently remove any adhesive from the tiles.
- Wait at least 24hrs. for adhesive to set. Mix the tile grout, or use a premixed grout and work into the joints between the tiles using a 3″-4″ plastic putty knife.
- Remove excess grout from tiles with a clean damp sponge, repeat this process 2-3 times waiting for a haze to develop between cleaning about 20-30 minutes.
- For extended life allow to cure 72 hrs. then apply a grout sealer. Always read the product manufacturer’s instructions completely before beginning.